Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Diamonds Are Forever...


Day 34

Today I got to shoot photos for a biotech business meeting. Whoo Hoo! And let me tell ya, those geeks no how to throw down! One guy even got up the nerve to talk to a girl... He said hello, then blushed, then ran away. Why was a cute girl at a biotech convention? She was only there because she was one of the public relations associates who was paid to be there. I got her number.

In all seriousness though, I met lots of interesting and much-smarter-than-I people. How do you get invited to take pictures at such an event you may ask? Well, at yesterdays party I was talking with one of the attendees and she told me that her dad was going to a biotech convention and that they just happened to be needing a photographer. We exchanged info and next thing ya know I'm hanging out with the smartest people in town.

By now you must be wondering what the picture has to do with the event.... This was inside one of the labs of one of the companies that was being represented at the convention. They make diamonds. Yes, you heard that correctly! They. MAKE. Diamonds. They also happened to be giving out free samples so I grabbed a round, ideal cut, F clarity, D color, 4ct and thanked them....

And what exactly do diamonds have to do with biotech? Well, the ones that they make are actually designed to very exacting measurements and cuts for use in both the medical field and for doing things like splitting the light from lasers in particle accelerators. Fun stuff! The picture that you see above is a wall of photos that they had printed from one of their electron microscopes. Due to privacy issues I can't show images of the actual machine which produces the diamonds but let me tell you, IT ROCKED (and by "rocked" I mean it made rocks...well, diamonds). It also wasn't that impressive to look at so sorry if I got your hopes up... just a big silver dome looking contraption with tubes leading in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment